Project Gorgon Wiki:How to help
How do I edit?
This wiki uses the MediaWiki platform. If you are new to MediaWiki, see the Help articles on the sidebar.
Please have a brief read of MediaWiki Help on Talk Pages. Signatures, indents, and topics (headings) in Talk Pages make it easier to see how the discussion is going and who has last replied, not just for the person you respond to, but any future editors who want to get up to date on the history of an article.
Ideally, discussion in talk pages should generate a notification, however it does not work on this wiki yet (we'll have to ask devs to add required extensions). Consider watching talk pages (click the star) which you are participating in, as they will be highlighted in the Special:RecentChanges. Either way, structuring talk pages is very helpful.
Use existing pages as a guide, and for further details see the formatting guidelines page.
Where to Help
The following areas of the wiki need the most help:
- Pages with existing but incomplete tables
- Gems (complete the table)
- Teleportation recipes
- Surveying (list of maps and what gems they lead to)
- Listing of the Advanced Abilities and where they drop or who teaches them (very useful)
- If you have high level play experience:
- ... overview of pros and cons (good abilities, bad abilities)
- ... relevant equipment/desirable augments on items (consider adding an example with Template:ItemT)
- ... which other skills does it work well with? and why?
- Simple lists or tables of level up skills/rewards. *
- Simple lists or tables of recipes. *. Such lists are useful for the wiki search, even without individual pages, if a player /wiki "fried banana" ... the pages listing the recipe will show up in the results.
- Higher level dungeons are poorly documented atm:
- Listing of foes, special foes, and harvestable nodes
- Describe Points of Interest in the dungeon
- Add articles for missing bosses
- Any particular general loot , quest loot that drops here?
- Consider adding a few images to highlight the sights in a gallery tag (see Dungeon Template)
- High level Zones
- Sun Vale NPCs, foes, landmarks (during alpha some abilities may move from one vendor to another, but those edits will not be lost, just moved to other articles as the game updates)
- Missing images
- Look at Special:WantedFiles. Red links are usually missing images. Click the "(1 link)" next to the red link, click the page listed below, then from that page click the image link in the article to add a picture. Try to optimize pictures a little bit in Photoshop by using "Save for Web" (JPEG). Size it down to 300 pixels wide to reduce the file size, as most articles will display a 300px thumb. Larger images can be used in the Galleries at bottom of dungeon/zone articles.
- * Please be aware that Eric (lead dev) has expressed interest in feeding most abilities/recipes into the wiki at some point (probably using the "Semantic" extension and formatting tables with special templates). That means you should probably not create any individual pages for recipes or abilities at this point during alpha. Doing so is not terribly useful as the wiki search will find them in relevant lists (NPCs, or Skills pages), and they may be overwritten when this data is fed into the wiki directly from the developer's spreadsheets/database. If you have knowledge of how to automate this kind of thing, please message User talk:Gorgonzola. The design of such tables can be discussed in the Skill Template page.
Sources for the Wiki
Besides in-game content, a list of known sources that can be used to flesh out the wiki:
- Q. This wiki is too light/bright/does not look like a gaming wiki!
- A: This is completely unimportant during the alpha. This wiki is hosted by the developers themselves, on their own domain. This means in due time, they may very well decide to revamp the general appearance to something more exciting. They obviously have more important things to do during alpha. What matters now is providing quality content and help for the players. If you prefer, consider helping out the Project: Gorgon Wikia site instead.
- Q. The rich text editor is too basic/ the syntax is complicated.
- A: It is. Consider it a new skillset. With that said, keep in mind this is collaborative work. If you don't like formatting things, simply focus on quality content. Someone else who is more into the layout and formatting will simply go over and tidy up things.
|How to help • Formatting • Categories|