According to Velkort, someone transformed the Magical Alter in Serbule Keep into a Necromantic portal to another realm. A variety of Undead creatures poured forth from the Alter anytime it came in contact with a source of Necromantic Power.
During Halloween 2015, Velkort gained a few new lines of dialogue.
Hmm? What did you need now? Can't you see I'm busy studying this fire?
- It's not supposed to be blue, right? That's bad.
- No, it's not supposed to be blue. Somebody snuck into the town the other night and changed the alter somehow. It's emanating undeath.
- What is this altar for, anyway?
- These old altars predate the city... in fact, they predate the Council. I don't know who made them or why. You'd think they'd have removed it when they were building the town, but that's humans for you: if it's magical, they want to keep it, even if they don't know how it works.
- Should we put the fire out?
- How? it's not burning anything physical. It doesn't need air like a real fire does, either. It used to be fueled from a tiny portal to the fae realm. But now the portal is open to a different realm. One of the bad ones, I think.
- Should we evacuate the town, then?
- I think it's stable. As long as nobody does anything really stupid, like sacrificing necromantic power sources in the flame, we should be okay.
- Necromantic power sources?
- The usual: skulls, bones, that sort of thing.
- Will the portal go back to normal eventually?
- I'm working on it. It may take a few weeks but I'll figure out what happened and reverse it, yes.
- In the mean time I definitely won't sacrifice anything necromantic on it. Bye!
November 8, 2016 - December 6, 2016